Laerdal Medical wanted a rugged wireless device that could control patient simulators, and use up-to-date training material/simulations through connectivity with cloud solution.
Data Respons have been working with Laerdal Medical for nearly a decade, delivering IoT solutions, including more than 40 000 wireless handheld controllers, used to simulate training scenarios and various control units placed inside the simulator. We contributed with full hardware development of both units as well as the firmware securing connectivity between the mannequin and the tablet.
”One of most the rewarding things in working with Laerdal is to take part of their vision to help saving lives – from premature simulators to pre-hospital and in-hospital emergency care providers” –Terje Jensvik, Technical Manager Data Respons Solutions
The training system enable high quality education and training for all levels of medical staff and students in medical institutions worldwide. And The solution helps save lives as hospital staff and students are trained in a safe, yet realistic and practical environment and ensure up-to-date training material through the cloud solution.
Additionally, Data Respons R&D Services has recently helped Laerdal explore new ways wireless technology can optimise their products’ user-friendliness.
- Development of wireless handheld controller (SimPad PLUS) to be used in a medical training system for Laerdal Medical, an international supplier of training and treatment equipment
- SimPad PLUS had to deliver on tough EMC/ESD design criteria, as well as certification and documentation in compliance with government regulations
Data Respons role/contribution
- Customization of hardware and software from idea/concept to delivery/production for handheld PC
- Support and maintenance
- Lie-cycle management
- Test and verification
- Global shipment management from Taiwan
- HW: Ruggedization and customization of handheld platform
- SW: Low-level and middle-layer code and API for easy SW development on handheld ARM CPU
- Connectivity: IoT enabled solution through WiFi/BT
- AI enabled features
Key selling factors
- Multidisciplinary capabilities (HW/SW)
- Embedded HW/SW experience and track-record
- Life Cycle Management capability
- Past customer relationship
- Partner network for development and production (Taiwan)